Saturday, September 19, 2015

Back to School Style Guide!

I'm not here to tell you what to wear or presume to know what's cool and trendy. My primary goal with this post is to guide you to achieving the look you want! There are just a few things to remember when picking out new fashion:

1. Thrift shops are your friends. I can't stress this enough. Sometimes, thrift shops are associated with gross and worn out clothes, but that's not always the case! If you're living on a college kid budget, like I am, then clothing is not on the top of your shopping list. However, a thrift shop can mean the difference between a $25 sweater and a $2 sweater. Still not sold? Okay. That's not the only way to find affordable clothing. Places like Marshals, TJ Maxx, or Plato's Closet are all stores that sell clothes at lower prices than retail. The things you find will give you a unique look and, trust me, you will look fresh (and not like you've been dumpster diving.)

         


 2.Find a pattern or print you adore and make it your thing!! I mentioned in a previous post about my love for Hawaiian prints, but I also love tribal prints and anything with giraffes on it! These have sort of become my "thing" that I wear; almost like my trademark! Even though some of what I wear is not what's "in," I still love wearing it! It is very important to love and be comfortable in what you wear. Fashion is for yourself, not others.
     

3. Find versatile pieces! Ask yourself when you're shopping, "How much use will I get out of this?" If the answer is "so much!" then buy it! Find items that can be dressed up or down and worn with lots of different colors. Of course, there will occasionally be a unique piece that you just can't live without, but that won't go with much and that's okay. However, you don't want to always be filling your closet with items that need other specific items to complement them. The other day I was in a shop and I literally thought to myself "I love these shorts, but I'm going to need to buy a shirt to match them." I realized then that I was not shopping smart. Buy things to match what you already have and that can be worn many different ways.

    



These three points don't stand alone, but work all at once! Look for affordable pieces in prints and patterns you love that are also versatile. It's actually quite simple: pick a max price for single items and then just know what you want! Again, I don't really know what's in, but I know how to dress myself in a way that makes me feel good. This school year, find a style you love and don't let it go for anything!

Peace and love. XXX.

No comments:

Post a Comment