Thursday, January 22, 2015

Mason Jar Salad

I have all day classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so a midday meal is very necessary. At my campus, we have a Chik-Fil-A, Subway, and a cafeteria. First of all, I don't like spending a lot of money on lunch while I'm at school. Second of all, I don't want any of that freshman fifteen! I get a lot of exercise trekking around campus and I feel like I'm sabotaging that by having a huge fried meal in the middle of my day. I've been trying to come up some healthy lunch options to bring with me to school! Today, I had a chickpea and red bell pepper Greek salad.

Makes 2 servings

You will need:
1/2 Red bell pepper
2/3 cup chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
6 leaves of Romaine lettuce
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. of Greek seasoning
Dash of dried mint

To start:
1. Wash and dry the lettuce leaves and chop them into small pieces. Clean the pepper, being sure to remove all the seeds. Dice up the pepper and toss it in a bowl with the drained chickpeas and lettuce.
2. Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, mint, and seasoning. If you feel like it needs more of a certain ingredient just go for it! Make it how you like.
3. Evenly distribute the dressing in the bottom of two large mason jars or Tupperware containers. Put the vegetable mix in on top of the dressing, but don't mix it. You can shake up the jar when your ready to eat it and the leaves don't get soggy while it sits!


If you don't like chickpeas or red bell peppers you can substitute them for literally anything else. There's more than one way to skin a cat and there's definitely more than one way to make a salad. You could even substitute the lettuce for spinach or kale. I just wanted to show you a fun and healthy lunch option which is good on the go! Greek yogurt is my one true love and it just made sense to pair it with my Greek salad! 

Enjoy coming up with fun alternatives to this! I look forward to sharing some more "clean eats" with you!

Peace and love. XXX.

No comments:

Post a Comment