Monday, July 13, 2015

My favorite things from JUNE!

June is well over and gone, but that's not going to stop me from telling you what I loved about it!



Lately, I've been very in love with aloha prints (more on this later.) I found this beautiful pink floral blouse at JCPenney last month and I've adored it ever since.  In the store, it was paired with a matching maxi skirt, but I really like the casual look I get with blue jeans! I paired this outfit with my vintage Hush Puppies suede oxfords. I bought mine at a thrift shop near my house in perfect condition for seven dollars. For dressier occasions, I wear this top and shoes combo with a navy and white polka dotted skirt. I liked wearing this outfit when I was downtown getting coffee and thrift shopping with a friend!


During June I baked a lot of goodies, but I think my favorite was the Swedish prinsesstårta. I was searching for some Swedish pastry recipes to try out and this one caught my eye like no other. It was beautiful and delicious; plus, the assembly was pretty simple. The layers were spongecake, lingonberry jam, whipped cream, more spongecake, vanilla custard, a HUGE dollop of whipped cream, MORE spongecake, all covered in tinted green marzipan! I have to say, after making this cake, I have a new found love for almonds! I put almond extract in practically everything! I found a very good video tutorial, but it's in Swedish. You can get the general idea of what to do just by watching though!


This month I've fallen in love (once again) with Altar'd State department store.  I took my little sister shopping and I wish we had gone there first on our trip! She found some cute dresses and tops with tassels. I really loved that all the clothes were very fun and cute, but still modest! The only thing I didn't love was the pricing. For a girl who loves thrift shopping, $70 seems like a bit much for a simple cotton dress. We visited the store when there was a MASSIVE sale going on, so I felt good about all the purchases!  They have some really precious pieces, so you should definitely check them out online or in store if there's one near you! 



This month I tried some delicious sodas from Joia all natural sodas that I found at World Market. My favorite flavor (not pictured) was the lime, hibiscus & clove. It was so fresh and had a wonderful flavor. I had the grapefruit, chamomile & cardamom flavor with a lamb bacon burger (recipe found in Bon Appetit Magazine's May issue.) The blackberry, pomegranate & ginger flavor was not my favorite. I love all those things individually, but the soda was just too sweet for me. These sodas are perfect for a summer barbecue and/or pool party. They're refreshing and fun and oh-so yummy! The colors are so fun and festive.


I made some super tasty sweet buttered polenta pancakes during the month of June! Polenta is just cornmeal that has been cooked down to a thick porridge originating in Italy. I bought my polenta at World Market pre-packaged in a tube, but you should be able to find it most grocery stores. I sliced the polenta into 1/4 inch thick discs and cooked them in a buttered skillet until they were crispy on the edges. I served them with a pad of butter, a sprinkle of powdered sugar, summer berries, and copious amounts of maple syrup. These were a yummy, but healthy alternative to regular pancakes; and they were easy to make too! This was by far my favorite meal from June!




Peace and LOVE. XXX.

No comments:

Post a Comment