Monday, June 1, 2015

My Favorite Things from MAY

The spring has been crazy and May has been the craziest month so far. I haven't blogged hardly at all lately so I'll re-cap this month with my favorite things that came about during it!



I absolutely love this dress! I needed something to wear for an event the next day and wanted something classic and floral. Goodwill had already closed, so I was hunting at JCP for the perfect frock and discovered this gem! I wore this floral shift dress with an old pair of my mom's shoes (which she will never see again.) I Painted my toes orange because it went too perfectly with the flowers on the dress. For the accessories, I mixed metals: gold elephant bracelet, copper zodiac sign necklace, gold arrow earrings, and silver rings! All in all, this one my favorite outfits (this month!)


Ahhhhh, baby pears. They were just begging to be poached! This month I poached four pears in Chardonnay and Ginger Ale! I added a lemon peel, cinnamon stick, and 3 whole cloves to the mixture along with a bit of sugar. When the pears were done poaching I fished them (and all the spices) out of the pot and let the liquid reduce. Meanwhile I candied some pecans by dipping the tops in melted butter and then brown sugar. I used my cooking torch to melt the sugars. The yellow stuff in this pic is just cold vanilla custard spread out on half of the plate. Once the liquids had reduced to a kind of thin syrup, I drizzled it on the other half of the plate. This dessert was heaveeeeeen and my best creation this month!
This month I had a pickup installed in my guitar and I was so nervous about it. I was worried that look of my beautiful acoustic Takamine would be distorted. Luckily the guy at my local music shop said that nothing would show on the outside of the guitar and he could put the dials inside! She came back beautiful, so the next step was to find an amp. I stopped at my friends pawn shop to look for an amplifier and they had a Marshall Mini Stack in great condition! Not only did it have a great and clean sound, but they had it priced at $150! Normally these run $400-$450. This good investment in May will benefit me forever (or until I accidentally blow the amp.) The moral of this story? Pawn shops and thrift stores before retail!




I was at World Market about a week ago going absolutely crazy buying coffee and cookies and such when I came across this organic sparkling drink. I had the Lemon Flower Sipp soda and it had such an interesting flavor. It was lemony and grassy and floral and just really really delicious. If your looking for something refreshing I think this is it! I need to get back around to World Market just for these sodas! Also, Bon Appetit Magazine was especially wonderful this month of May. It focused on travel, and while I'm missing my sister who's exploring Italy now, it was a perfect read. 





I was having lunch with a friend this month, and she suggested a place called "Slim Chickens." As I was looking at the menu, I realized that I had never had chicken and waffles and couldn't quite call myself a real southerner until I had. The fact that the waffles were shaped like Texas was the deciding factor. I actually (much to my surprise) really liked the chicken and waffles! There was no sauce that came with them so I just used ketchup, which was not bad, but I think maple syrup would've been better. This was one of the best discoveries of May for me!





Peace and love. XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment